Dar es Salaam, Tanzania – In an effort to stimulate economic growth and safeguard consumer health, Tanzanian Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade, Exaud Kigahe, has passionately advocated for the consumption of locally manufactured products.
Addressing attendees at the recent Small and Medium Enterprises (SIDO) Exhibition, which marked its fourth edition in Dar es Salaam on October 23, 2023, Kigahe highlighted the detrimental preference many Tanzanians have developed for foreign goods. A concerning observation, particularly given the potential health risks associated with harmful chemicals in some imported products.
“It’s time we champion our own and change our consumer patterns,” Kigahe expressed. “Our local products aren’t just of commendable quality and cost-effective, they play a pivotal role in job creation and uplifting our economy.”
Kigahe emphasized the government’s unwavering dedication to bolstering domestic industries. This commitment is manifested in various forms – from offering tax reliefs, facilitating credit accessibility, to other enticing incentives for manufacturers. On the flip side, Kigahe appealed to the Tanzanian populace, urging discernment in their purchasing decisions, with a bias towards homegrown products.
Why Opting for Local Matters
- Economic Prosperity: Buying local directly fuels economic progression. Your purchase can create jobs and stimulate growth within your locality.
- Job Generation: Domestic industries are instrumental in providing employment opportunities, alleviating poverty, and unemployment.
- Environmental Preservation: The environmental footprint of local products is often considerably less compared to imports.
- Quality and Affordability: Domestic goods often rival, if not surpass, the quality of foreign alternatives and usually come at a more affordable price point.
Championing Homegrown Industries
Fostering a robust domestic market requires collective action. Here’s how you can contribute:
- Consistently opt for local products when shopping.
- Be an ambassador for local businesses: patronize their establishments and recommend them to your network.
- Take an interest in understanding your local industries and their offerings.
By making the deliberate choice to consume domestically produced items, every Tanzanian can play a part in fortifying the nation’s economy while concurrently ensuring their well-being.